Draw80 Conversion Progress Report

John-Reed Maffeo rlpa80 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Jan 29 19:53:58 UTC 1998

Sam et al,

I got a sorta working version of Draw80 running under Squeak 1.3. It only
sorta works because there is still a lot of tweaking required to get the
drawing tools sorted out, but I got a window, I can choose different tools, and
some of them almost work AND I can run it with out crashing!

I have been adding compatibility code to the base image to do it, but
I think that I have also learned enough in the process that I can have
a go at rewriting the source code to avoid the necessity of adding methods to
the base code that only alias existing methods. (e.g. Draw80 uses <foo>:mask:
Squeak uses <foo>:fillColor).

Known problems include:

1. Tool palette buttons appear tiny and have no icons in them.

	I think this is a scaling problem. I am not going to worry
	about it for now.

2. The view and sub views don't seem to line up correctly. The sub views
	seem to be shifted left the width of the tool palette.

3. There is a pull down menu on the topView that needs to be fixed so that it
	will display properly.

4. A whole lot (or maybe just a little) of code tweaking in the drawing methods.

My development process is quite simple. I run the code and fix what breaks. I have
started over from scratch three times now and each time I get faster at fixing
things.

Best Regards,

John-Reed Maffeo