modeling in color

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:47:18 UTC 1998

>is anyone working on a modeling tool for squeak?

I think that there are a couple of projects on doing modeling tools in
Squeak.

Noel Rappin (noel at cc.gatech.edu) has built a tool that generates Squeak
code that he used with my students for the last academic year, called BOOST
(http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/people/student/Noel.Rappin.html#BOOST).  I
just read his dissertation chapter on his BOOST results yesterday, and it's
pretty impressive.  He got students to make pretty dramatic changes in
their modeling process (e.g., he actually got students to design BEFORE
coding, which is an amazing (and measurable!) change for CS sophomores!))
and improvements in their understanding of O-O models.  BOOST is freely
available off his website.  (It's written in Java, though he said he'd
probably do Squeak next time :-)

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu