unification algorithm in Smalltalk? (& C code generation)

Kyle Pierce on SNI kylep at csn.net
Thu Jul 9 16:30:22 UTC 1998

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Satoshi NISHIHARA &lt;<A
href="mailto:nishis at urban.ne.jp">nishis at urban.ne.jp</A>&gt;<BR>To: <A
href="mailto:squeak at cs.uiuc.edu">squeak at cs.uiuc.edu</A> &lt;<A
href="mailto:squeak at cs.uiuc.edu">squeak at cs.uiuc.edu</A>&gt;<BR>Date: Wednesday,
July 08, 1998 9:44 PM<BR>Subject: Re: unification algorithm in
Smalltalk?<BR><BR><BR>&gt;Hello<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;This &quot;alpha minus
version&quot; Prolog has a problem, sub windows<BR>&gt;(consulting, editing,
listing, reconsulting) are funny.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Except this trouble, it runs
well (I hope) ;-p<BR><BR><BR>Thank you for your work with a Squeak version of
Prolog, and thanks to everyone who responded to my question.&nbsp; I hope to
soon spend some time working with this Prolog interpreter.&nbsp; My goal is to
set up a facility for backward-chaining searches as a part of my Squeak
environment -- which the Prolog interpreter should certainly take care of.&nbsp;
I wonder whether Squeak can generate C code for this sort of extension (which
needs all the speed it can get)?&nbsp; More generally, I wonder what might be
the practical limits of Squeak's C code generation?&nbsp; Sorry, I could
probably answer these questions in part by studying the literature to identify
the subset of Smalltalk that is supported by that C code generation
facility.&nbsp; Right now I'm hoping for some insights from someone who knows a
lot more than I do about Squeak.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Kyle
Pierce<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>