Redux Re: Questions On Proposed ANSI Standard DateAndTime

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Wed Jul 8 16:00:54 UTC 1998

Hi James Foster:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.  Your reply was very
helpful.  I think I may understand it (mostly) now.

At 09:27 AM 7/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
[SNIP]
>I believe that California is eight hours later than GMT.

You're right.

[SNIP]
>>Is the following result of the Duration [SIC]>>#asLocal message correct?

Is "[SIC]" used to indicate containing some error?  If so, what?  It just
piqued my interest.

[SNIP]
>Or, treating the internal value as GMT:

Sounds like an excellent suggestion.  I'll do it.

[SNIP]
>>Should the Duration>>#< message given an operand other than an instance of
>>class Duration generate an error or return false?
>
>Asking a duration of ten minutes if it is less than the color orange does
>not seem to be false unless you can come up with a way to make 10 minutes
>greater than orange. I would expect an error.
[SNIP]

I'm not sure what you mean.  The color orange is always less that any other
object in Smalltalk.  See page 107 of "Smalltalk-80: The Language and its
Implementation".

I even amaze myself sometimes.

I hope to finish up the ANSI additions to Smalltalk Express (I was more
familiar with it) in a couple of weeks, then I can add them to Squeak.  I'll
post it and be happy to finally get some feedback on it.

You really helped e out.  Thanks

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy