Mail Client in Squeak

James O'Connor joconnor at roadrunner.com
Thu Jul 2 14:59:17 UTC 1998

Ted,

	Thanks a lot for pointing that out.  It will be very helpful.

Take care,
Jay

>Eliot wrote:
>>and grab STAMP from the parc goodies in the VisualWorks Non-Commercial
>>distribution.  It contains a base64 decoder and I have a uuencode
>>decoder for it also.  No encoders yet.  STAMP also manages multiple
>>folders etc.  I use it as my mail client at work.
>
>Folks,
>	Squeak already contains a class Base64MimeConverter in category
Collections-Streams.  Here is its class comment:

>This class encodes and decodes data in Base64 format.  This is MIME
encoding.  We translate a whole stream at once, taking a Stream as input
and giving one as output.  Returns a whole stream for the caller to use.
>           0 A            17 R            34 i            51 z
>           1 B            18 S            35 j            52 0
>           2 C            19 T            36 k            53 1
>           3 D            20 U            37 l            54 2
>           4 E            21 V            38 m            55 3
>           5 F            22 W            39 n            56 4
>           6 G            23 X            40 o            57 5
>           7 H            24 Y            41 p            58 6
>           8 I            25 Z            42 q            59 7
>           9 J            26 a            43 r            60 8
>          10 K            27 b            44 s            61 9
>          11 L            28 c            45 t            62 +
>          12 M            29 d            46 u            63 /
>          13 N            30 e            47 v
>          14 O            31 f            48 w         (pad) =
>          15 P            32 g            49 x
>          16 Q            33 h            50 y
>Outbound: bytes are broken into 6 bit chunks, and the 0-63 value is
converted to a character.  3 data bytes go into 4 characters.
>Inbound: Characters are translated in to 0-63 values and shifted into 8
bit bytes.

>(See: N. Borenstein, Bellcore, N. Freed, Innosoft, Network Working Group,
Request for Comments: RFC 1521, September 1993, MIME (Multipurpose Internet
Mail Extensions) Part One: Mechanisms for Specifying and Describing the
Format of Internet Message Bodies. Sec 6.2)

>By Ted Kaehler, based on Tim Olson's Base64Filter.
>
>--Ted.
>

>Ted Kaehler,   Walt Disney Imagineering, R&D
>(home) 3415 Cork Oak Way, Palo Alto, CA  94303.  voice (650) 424-1070
>http://www.webPage.com/~kaehler2/
>Give me your old Macintosh!   I will put it in a first grade classroom.

Jay O'Connor
joconnor at roadrunner.com

"God Himself plays the bass strings first, when He tunes the soul"