Bug when opening Transcript

Tim Olson tim at jumpnet.com
Thu Jun 4 03:58:09 UTC 1998

>It definitely is getting weirded out by sending things to a collapsed
>Transcript. I played with it some more and found the following simple
>test can be used to get it to hang. (Note that number of lines, their
>relative length and not starting with a cleared transcript can affect
>your results).

Looks like the problem is that the text is replaced without recomposing
the paragraph, leading to incoherent state.  Here's a fix that seems to
work, although I don't know if it is the "correct" fix:

'From Squeak 2.0 of May 22, 1998 on 3 June 1998 at 10:56:40 pm'!
"Change Set:		TranscriptFix
Date:			3 June 1998
Author:			Tim Olson

possible fix to Transcript display problem"!

!Paragraph methodsFor: 'composition' stamp: 'tao 6/3/1998 22:49'!
invalidateComposition
	"force a recomposition on the next display"

	lastLine _ nil.! !

!PluggableTextController methodsFor: 'transcript' stamp: 'tao 6/3/1998
22:51'!
appendEntry
	"Append the text in the model's writeStream to the editable text. "
	view topView isCollapsed ifTrue:
		[paragraph invalidateComposition. ^ paragraph text replaceFrom: 1 to:
paragraph text size
				with: model contents asText].
	self deselect.
	paragraph text size > model characterLimit ifTrue:
		["Knock off first half of text"
		self selectInvisiblyFrom: 1 to: paragraph text size // 2.
		self replaceSelectionWith: Text new].
	self selectInvisiblyFrom: paragraph text size + 1 to: paragraph text
size.
	self replaceSelectionWith: model contents asText.
	self selectInvisiblyFrom: paragraph text size + 1 to: paragraph text
size! !

     -- tim