auto update problem

William O. Dargel wDargel at shoshana.com
Thu Jun 18 08:08:15 UTC 1998

Jecel Mattos de Assumpcao Jr. wrote:

>  I really liked the auto update feature and have tested
>  it twice so far. When a communication problem happens,
>  however, the system gives up and goes on to the next
>  update. When they are all in it is no use to ask to
>  update again from the help menu since you will just
>  be informed that there are no more updates (you already
>  have the last one). My Squeak image is now missing
>  three patches so far.

Dan gave some ideas as to how to recover the missing files once you are
in this predicament.

My thought is to change the Utilities class absorbUpdatesFromServer
method to not put you into this state in the first place. The attached
version of the method will stop loading updates after the first failure,
and report how many were loaded, how many weren't and the url of the
first one that didn't load. In your situation (having started from a
clean image) after a failure, you could then retry the updates and have
it pick back up from where it left off.

Probably even better would be to have both types of behavior selectable
in some way. But I'll leave that as an exercise for someone else. :-)

Bill Dargel            wdargel at shoshana.com
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Attachment converted: Cog:Utilities class-absorbUpdatesFr (????/----)
(0000D955)