class, prototype, meta

Alan C. Kay alank at wdi.disney.com
Sun Mar 1 03:37:26 UTC 1998

Dave --

An assignment is on a different metalevel than a function call because the former has side-effects (which could possibly change many subsequent computations) and the latter doesn't. I think of an assignment statement as being like (re)defining possibly many functions -- it's a good idea to eliminate or confine them as much as possible for most programming. I think of gotos as being at a different metalevel than a procedure call -- likewise they should be eliminated and/or confined, and so forth. The ability to dynamically change the *meaning* of what an instance is, or what inheritance is, is at a different metalevel than simply using current meanings for these.

A useful example from the murky MetaObject Protocol book is: suppose you decide to build a superHypercard kind of media authoring system in Squeak. You would like to make things as uniform as possible for the end-users, so you would like to have them think about the objects on the screen as being of the same species as much as possible. This leads to an object model that could possibly require hundreds of instance variables used to hold "properties" of the object. But only dozens might be needed for any given object. There are several ways to do this in different systems, including just stuffing them in there. What Gregor and Danny say you should do is to essentially subclass Class Instance and define (say) a hash coding scheme for the access and rebinding of the slots. This constitutes a change of metalevels in that you are dealing with a deep property of your entire system. Their notion is that you should be able to make this metachange in such a way that it can be very efficiently compiled and become a part of the lowest level virtual machine.

This is possible to do in Squeak right now, but it is messy because currently there is no class structure for the lowest level objects and very little modularity in the VM simulation definition -- but there could be and will be.

Another interesting example of metacontrol might be in the area of trying to enforce the meanings of different polymorphisms. For example, in Squeak there is a convention to make many methods (e.g. "print") polymorphic over all classes. But in fact Squeak allows you to define a (say) print method on any class that will do anything but print if you so choose. One really old topic that I and others have written about for decades is the notion of having classes for at least some of the methods. For example, you could imagine a Class Print whose instances are *methods that try to print*, and only allow the programmer to specify a limited number of options that don't violate "printability" for the classes they belong to. These "slot" classes are useful in many contexts including multiple inheritance (what should system do if several e.g. print methods are to be found in the different chains?), overriding a method but trying to retain some of the generic meaning, and all kinds of complex organizations of knowledge (e.g. I have a method called "right" and I want to know what its opposite is -- who knows this? Class Right should and does).

I am still trying to understand this stuff myself, and I don't have a calculus for infallible discovery of metalevels. Most of the answers that seem right I get from imagining a complex system already running, and asking what kinds of changes will lead to what kinds of {results *cross* propagations}. This readily yields up distinctions between (say) function calls and assignment statements.

Re: a Smalltalk balloon for making Art of MetaObject Protocol understandable to the larger world. I know I said it, but I didn't mean it. There is only one Dan Ingalls and it would be a real metalevel error to give the next Smalltalk balloon for anything less than what he has accomplished. However, I would certainly be willing to come up with a bottle of good champagne for such a public service!

Cheers,

Alan