Smalltalk object trampling

Carl E Gundel carlg at world.std.com
Fri Mar 6 16:17:36 UTC 1998

Hi everyone!

I realize this question is not Squeak specific, but I figure this is
probably the best Smalltalk brain tank around, so I hope you don't mind if
I ask for a little help.

I am trying to construct an reproducible example where an object is
corrupted (via some context switching or recursion perhaps), usually
causing a protection violation (often revealed at garbage collection).  I
have seen this in Smalltalk applications in the past, and suspect I am
seeing the same kind of problem now in our Smalltalk work.

I need some example code to construct a note to our developers
illustrating how the problem happens, what to look for, and how to avoid
the problem.  I'm busting my brain trying to write such an example, but so
far I've had no luck, so I'm hoping that somebody else has taken the time
to document their experience in this area.  Does anyone have any
(hopefully very simple) examples showing how this happens?

Thanks,

Carl

 Carl Gundel  carlg at world.std.com  Shoptalk Systems  508-872-5315
 author of Liberty BASIC, a 1996 PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://world.std.com/~carlg/basic.html