Workspaces wasting memory

sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar
Mon May 25 07:13:15 UTC 1998

Hi Andreas.

>The Workspace includes a dictionary with the bindings. All your undeclared
>stuff can be found there. Try adding

Silly me... the huge ByteArray I saw was then a 100kb byteArray I had in
the workspace in question. I could ask for the keys of the dictionary to see
what's going on... and indeed! I found a lost finiteStateModel, which I
promptly nilled and got the few megabytes back.

>Workspace>>releaseBindings
>  bindings _ nil

Hehehehe... by the way, I noticed that workspaces also keep names pointing
to nil... I would also include:

Workspace>>cleanBindings
bindings keysDo:
  [:each |
    (bindings at: each) isNil ifTrue: [bindings removeKey: each]
  ]

>and then:

Grin!...

>This should give you most of the space back (given that it's really the
>workspace bindings ;-)

Well yes, a lost finite state model is quite a big structure. Talking about
big memory requirements, how do I increase the amount of memory the virtual
machine uses?

Thanks!

Andres.