Smalltalk from Xerox

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen_Wirfs-Brock at Instantiations.com
Thu May 7 15:58:52 UTC 1998

At 10:22 AM 5/4/98 -0700, glenn wrote:
>Xerox licensed the initial Smalltalk-80 system (on which Squeak was based)
>to four companies including Apple in 1980-1981. A couple of years later,
>Xerox licensed the "Version 2" image more generally--with was the basis of
>products available from Tektronix on their 4400-series machines, from
>Softsmarts on PCs, and others.

The Tektronix 4404 including Tektronix Smalltalk which derived from ST-80
V2 was announced in July 1984 and shipped in December 1984.

The ST-80 V1 distribution from Xerox to the 4 initial licensees began in
early 1981 and concluded in early 1982.

If anyone really needs to know solid dates for any of these events, I have
original documents in my achieves that could be retrieved.

Allen Wirfs-Brock