Good Public Domain info for Squeaking

Bruce Cohen cohenb at gemstone.com
Thu Nov 12 18:26:15 UTC 1998

Dan Ingalls writes:
>> I have in mind a couple of fun Squeak aps, but I'd like them not to rely one=
>>  proprietry material.  So I would like to hear from anyone regarding
>>
>> 	Maps, covering the US
>> 	Maps, covering the world
>> 	Deck of cards
>> 	Dictionary of english
>> 		ideally with some flags and factored rules
>> 		for purals, verb endings, etc
>> 	Other interesting stuff
>> 		bird calls
>> 		star charts
>> 		images of art and architecture
>>
>> Does anyone know a meta-solution to this?  Are there good web sites or other=
>>  repositories for such P.D. info and artwork?  Obviously I can search this=
>>  myself, but I'm hoping someone has already done this and can provide some=
>>  guidance regarding what is good and not so.

For many years, my first reaction to a problem like this was to look for
an appropriate book from Dover Books.  Dover publishes (along with a lot
of other fascinating titles) a long list of books of clip art, copyright
free.  They have a few collections of clip art on disk as well, but I've
had good results scanning in pages from their books.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a website, but you can look for
the books on one of the online bookstores, like Amazon or Powell's.  A
quick search for "Dover Books" on amazon.com got 457 hits.  I
can vouch for the selection at Powell's; I visit their store in Portland
at least once or twice a month, and often walk past or browse through
the shelves of the clip art books.
Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Two.  One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the bathtub with
brightly colored machine tools.
Bruce Cohen,                               |  email: cohenb at gemstone.com
GemStone Systems, Inc.                     |  phone: (503)533-3602
20575 NW Von Neumann Drive                 |  fax:   (503)629-8556
Beaverton, OR USA 97006                    |  web:   http://www.gemstone.com