Is Squeak useful for me ?

Simon Bates Simon.Bates at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 17 09:26:06 UTC 1998

I have just joined the Squeak mailing list today. My name is Simon Bates
and I am a PhD student at the Computer Laboratory at Cambridge University in
England.

I am starting a project to present information using ambient sound, for
example status information, and I am considering using Squeak.

I am new to Smalltalk and Squeak and I have some queries that I was
wondering if you could help me with concerning communication between objects
in Smalltalk and outside the Squeak Virtual Machine.

>From reading the documentation that I have found on Squeak I get the
impression that it is only possible to communicate outside the Squeak
Virtual Machine using TCP/IP networking and reading and writing files.
Is this correct ? In particular is it possible to

1. Communicate with UNIX processes ?
2. Call routines from a library written in a language other than Smalltalk ?

Thank you very much for your time,
Simon.