some not-so-random questions

Stephan B. Wessels stephan.wessels at sdrc.com
Mon Nov 2 17:14:19 UTC 1998

Andreas Raab wrote:

> I doubt it - running Morphic on a 90Mhz Pentium is a hard thing to do
> (but I'm a hero - I've been running Morphic on a DX2/66 ;-))
> It's even harder if you have only 8MB of RAM. But if you want to try then
> start Squeak with
>
>    Squeak -memory: NN Squeak2.2.image
>
> where NN is number of MB of memory to use (note the space before NN).

Years ago I worked on a 386 with 16MB running OS/2 developing in Smalltalk/V PM and it really wasn't too bad.  But I love the
technology we have available today.

I have a question about the memory argument for Squeak that you show above.  Wait, I have 2:
  1) Is that only for the Win versions of Squeak?
  2) What is the default memory allocation then, if none is specified explicitly?

Thanks,

  - Steve