Squeak MIDI and Mac Serial Ports

Ivan Brusic ivan at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 25 19:51:53 UTC 1998

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Mark Guzdial wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make Squeak let go of a Mac serial port after it
> uses it (say, for a MIDI interface)?  On my G3 Powerbook, I have one lone
> serial port.  After using it for MIDI-ing, I wanted to backup my PalmPilot,
> but it insisted that Squeak still had the serial port -- despite moving
> back to internal synthesizer, and despite quitting Squeak.  I could backup
> after restart.
>
> It's not a huge deal (I don't backup that often :-), but if there's an easy
> solution (a Mac-centric thingie? A Squeak expression to evaluate?), I'd
> appreciate it.

I do not know about serial ports, but Squeak does not relinguish control
of my sound card after playing sounds in Morphic.  The only "fix" I have
found is to interrupt the current process using CMD-.  Works most of the
time.

Hope this helps and Happy Thanksgiving to all,

Ivan

--

"Computers are nothing but a perfect illusion of order" - Iggy Pop

Ivan Brusic
Graduate Student
GVU Center & College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology