HTTPSocket proxy authentication

Chris Double chris at cnd.co.nz
Tue Nov 10 05:07:01 UTC 1998

The proxy at work requires authentication when using it. I have to supply a
user id and password. Has anyone done any work on allowing the HTTPSocket
proxy code to work using authentication? At the moment I've hacked in the
correct Proxy-Authentication string which allows me to be authenticated so I
can use Scamper and the remote updates, etc. But I have no idea how this
authentication code is generated.

Can someone provide a reference to some code (in any language) or documents
that describe the protocol for this? Or even better, is there some Squeak
code ferreted away that already does it?

Thanks,
Chris.