Is Squeak limited to 512Mbyte process size?

Georg Gollmann gollmann at edvz.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 6 10:18:31 UTC 1998

At 10:52 Uhr +0100 06.11.1998, Markus Kohler wrote:
>I'm just curious.
>I started my mmap Squeak with  520Mbyte and strange things happened.
>It started up but the process size went to about 140 Mbyte whereas it
>remained
>at 5 when I used 500Mbyte.
>Also Smalltalk bytesLeft gave back around 8 Mbytes of free space ...

Having a quick look at the image there could indeed be a 512 MB limit in
the garbage collector (browse class var references to
ObjectMemory>FreeSizeMask). But I could be totally up the creek as well...
----
Dipl.Ing. Georg Gollmann                   TU-Wien, EDV-Zentrum

phon:(+43-1) 58801 - 42022
fax: (+43-1) 58801 - 42099
mail:gollmann at edvz.tuwien.ac.at
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Gollmann.html