Where can I get some etoys?

scottw at wdi.disney.com scottw at wdi.disney.com
Wed Nov 4 22:07:05 UTC 1998

Bob,

It will be much more straightforward in the forthcoming Squeak 2.3 release to create "etoy-like" things than it has been in 2.2.  I advise waiting a couple of weeks.

However, if you wish to push forward on this in the meantime, a good place to look is in the "ReadMe.text" file shipped with Squeak 2.2; the relevant section starts with the heading "Programming in Morphic".  Or, more conveniently, you can point a web browser directly at:

  http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/SqueakDoc.11

Finally, if none of the above satisfies your immediate need, here are a few steps that will get you on the road to reconstructing Alan's "race car" demo in the current release:

*  Start out in a fresh Morphic Construction Project.

*  From the "Scripting" submenu of the world menu, get a "detachable scripting space".

*  Drag out a blank playfield (pale green rect) from the parts bin and deposit it in the scripting space.  This will be the place where you draw your car and where it will travel around.

*  Paint your car by dragging a "paint palette" from the parts bin and dropping it into Playfield, then painting the car, then hitting "Keep".  (It's also possible to script a "Paint" tab of the palette so that it invokes painting automatically whenever it's hit, as in Alan's etoy demo, but drag-n-drop of the palette icon should do to get you started.)

*  Obtain a "Viewer" for the car by dragging from its cyan-colored halo handle; place the viewer where you wish.  (It is also possible to have viewers all show up at a single, reusable place, as in Alan's etoy demo, but it's rather strenuous right now to set this up.  In 2.3 Squeak this will be *much* easier.)

*  Rename the car from "Sketch" to "Car" by clicking on its name at the top of the Viewer (the name-editing area will turn yellow), backspacing to get rid of the unwanted text, typing "Car", and then hitting ENTER.

*  Get a nascent script for the car by dragging from the phrase in the Viewer that reads "Car turn by 5" and dropping somewhere into your scripting space.

*  Now proceed to modify and test your script, by adding new phrases, changing parameters, etc.

*  Later on, paint your steering wheel, bring up its viewer, and drag tiles from the relevant places in that viewer, dropping them atop the appropriate places in your script, to achieve the effect you want.

For example, if you want the amount by which the car turns to be determined  by the heading of the steering wheel, get a tile for "steeringWheel's heading" anddrop it over the "5" parameter in the "car turn by 5" phrase of the car's script.

Hope this helps,

   -- Scott