Anyone using alternative input devices with Squeak?

Michael S. Klein mklein at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 9 22:57:56 UTC 1998

> > I am using a Twiddler.
> >
> >         http://www.HandyKey.com/
> >
> > I am still on the steep part of the learning curve, but it is a lot
> > easier to use than one might imagine (I thought it would be extremely
> > difficult).
>
> Ah, at long last... a testimonial.
> And how do you find that it fits using Squeak
> (or other STs, or apps in general)?

Well, I am avoiding training myself on the Twiddler's default brain-dead
keymap, so I have been using it primarily as a pointing device.  Even
with this avoidance, I am still learning the key map, hence my claim that
learning the keymap is easier than one might imagine. Smalltalk lends
itself well to being driven without typing (so does Netscape).

The problems with Squeak's UI I have mentioned earlier, are compounded
with the use of the twiddler, primarily because it is still unfamiliar to me.

New UI tip:
	Spend some time using the mouse with the opposite hand that
	you usually do.  Notice how often the UI forces you to move large
	distances, unnecesarily.  Remember Fitts' Law.

In my earier years, I had done quite a bit of UI-hacking in VW,
particularly a nice drag & drop framework.  I think that the ease of
creating new widgets/UI paradigms in Smalltalk makes it particulary nice
for the twiddler.

I am considering writing a twiddler driver in Squeak.
Does anyone know how to access the Com ports on Windoze?
Are there special considerations on NT? What about Linux?
I'm sick of NT, and plan on migrating to Linux soon.
Most of the wearables gang are into Linux anyway.  Smalltalk on Linux
on a wearable would be a cool combo. I wonder if the Linux crowd
would prefer Squeak or VWNC?

> Can you modify it [keymap] with software?

Yes.  I am thinking about making my key layout particularly for Smalltalk,
since that is my primary language besides English (and in English, I
don't seem no use nearly as many funny punctuation marks as in Smalltalk
;-).  Thinking about key-layouts and Smalltalk led me to the following
conclusion:

	The comma is underutilized.

I mean underutilized, as opposed to underused, i.e. the utility of the comma
should be higher, not that we should be concatenating more often.

-- Mike