Porting squeak to the Alpha

Rob McIlhargie rmcilhar at sanctuary.smart.net
Tue Nov 3 02:14:55 UTC 1998

>  > Does anyone know how this code runs on Alpha OSF/1?
>
> I use the native OSF linker (rather than GNU ld) which has a *really* useful
> option "-taso" that locates all the program segments in the bottom 32-bits
> of the address space.  For aesthetic reasons I also have a wrapper around
> gcc (util/decgcc) that filters out the thousands of warnings about 64-bit
> pointers being converted to 32-bit ints (which are irrelevant since the
> linker guarantees that there will be no pointers >= 2^32).

  Hi Ian,

    As soon as I got into work this morning I downloaded the code and saw
the "-taso" option. The GNU ld on Alpha GNU/Linux doesn't have an equivalent
"-taso" options but the "-Tfoo" options are supported. I'll try and see if
I can fudge some numbers for those and see what happens.

    I think it would be better if the code were 64 bit clean. I was using
the system browser and noticed that the C emitters default to type "int" if
a declaration doesn't exist for an argument. I couldn't find any examples
of how declarations are specified. Does anyone know how to specify these?
If I could get the smalltalk code to generate properly typed C code the
corresponding C code should compile and run on 64 bit and 32 bit platforms.

    I already tried changing the default "int" to "long" to see if that would
be a quick fix for the Alpha, but the translation didn't finish before I
left work. I'll let ya know if I get any farther.

Rob.                          | http://www.smart.net/~rmcilhar/
rmcilhar at smart.net            |
rmcilhar at sanctuary.smart.net  | POWERED by LINUX!!!!