Interfaces ala Java for Squeak

GTE/staypufd staypufd at gte.net
Thu Nov 19 08:06:34 UTC 1998

>What would
>they buy us in Squeak?

Some of what I thought they'd give us would be:

1)  A very trace-able view of how we are using polymorphism.
2)  A better understanding of how the system is partitioned.
3)  They might also lead to a nice way of verifing that a ST package that
you are loading supports a complete interface. (We would need to
implement something like SSL's in VW)
4)  They are also kinda like a typing mechanism.  Not for individual
variables, but for groups of functions.  Like the object is declaring I
am one of these things that can do 'X".  Where 'X' is the interface.
5)  They are kind of like a 'contract' in the way I was thinging of
implementing them.  Because when you declared it in the class defintion,
and then accepted it, the methods in that interface would then be
auto-generated for you.  Thus you would fullfill the 'Contract'.

and finally, the one that Java really uses them for:
6)  In addition to allowing multiple inheritence of interface.

Any more thoughts?

Sam Griffith Jr.
staypufed at aol.com