AE/interProcess (was: Examples of API)

Richard L. Peskin rlpcon at vermontel.net
Wed Nov 11 20:59:10 UTC 1998

At 9:02 PM +0200 11/11/98, michal starke wrote:
>couldn't you just add primitives for AppleEvents using the new pluggable
>primitives framework? (ie. AE call wrappers essentially). sounds like
>peanuts wrt the work you already did reimplementing the whole AE framework
>on unix. or am i missing something?

I didn't find the "pluggable primitives framework" in the browser; can you
point me to them?
The Unix AE is quite complex, and was not free of some "security" problems.
I'll look at the pluggable primitive framework and then be in a better
position to evaluate whether AE is appropriate.

>[and have AE/interprocessComm would be a big + for many other uses in squeak!]
Yes, but the AE API is not very user (programmer) friendly. It carries a
lot of baggage to support the AE object model. Perhaps what we did
previously can be paired down.

--dick peskin

R. L. Peskin,  Rutgers Univ. ; <peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>;
<http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~peskin>
VT Phone (802) 824-4558  NJ Phone (732) 445-4208
"The corporate culture is concerned less with Occam's razor than his
aftershave lotion."