Squeaky Sounds on a G3 Powerbook

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 30 14:44:53 UTC 1998

I started a Squeak Swiki page on Sounds in Squeak, and created another page
off that to talk about my experiences with trying to get a variety of sound
stuff to work on G3 Powerbooks (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.477).

Some of the open questions that some out here may know about:

- There doesn't seem to be a way to "close" a G3 Powerbook modem/printer
port, so rebooting is the only way to switch between apps (even AppleTalk)
that don't close the port well.

- I can't figure out any way to get OMS (necessary for Siren) to recognize
my modem/printer port.  I got it working fine with my PowerMac 6100, so
it's not the synthesizer or interface.

- MIDI input on Squeak 2.3beta is really fuzzy.  The input itself is
probably going fine, but 2.3beta then tries to play the input note via the
internal synthesizer, and the sound quality is noisy on the G3PB.  Are
other people finding a way to get it to work more smoothly?

Thanks!
 Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu