Squeak for embedded systems (remote debugging and image

Jerome Garcia Jerome.Garcia at wj.com
Wed Nov 25 19:18:41 UTC 1998

     To support using Squeak in embedded systems and memory-constrained
     ones like Newtons, I'm exploring the idea of making a headless version
     of Squeak with minimal footprint that can be remotely interacted with
     from a headed Squeak via TCP/IP. Tools such as these might also be
     useful for debugging "headless" Squeak images embedded in applications
     like web browsers or web servers.

     I would like to see Squeak images embedded in robots in your list.

     > 6. Can people think of other useful reasons to have such tools?

     I have found the equivalent VisualWORKS and ControlWORKSs tools which
     we use for development of semiconductor processing equipment software
     to be extremely valuable. Most of the time, we can debug embedded
     Smalltalk code (embedded OS is VxWorks) on the fly without even having
     to shut down the equipment. In this case, the embedded images are
     stored on the NT frontend system and loaded into the embedded systems
     during bootup. Debugging is performed on the NT frontend. It is a
     distributed application with at least 3 images involved between the NT
     workstation and the embedded systems. I would really like to see this
     capability available in Squeak.

     >open a TCP/IP connection (or maybe just plain serial) to that VM from

     Support TCP/TP and you can speak to just about the whole world. I have
     found debugging and expect to find testing of factory interfaces much
     nicer via ethernet than having to attach a serial cable to equipment.
     Especially if the equipment I want to attach to is elsewhere.

     I am sorry that I cannot offer any advice on the Squeak side of the
     problem being a novice. If you have any questions that might be
     answered by my experience with the semiconductor software please feel
     free to ask.

     --

     Jerome E. Garcia
     jegarcia at adventurousmind.com