GUI frameworks and prototype objects (Was: Getting Started with Squeak)

Laurence Rozier lrozier at thepattern.com
Fri Oct 2 03:58:51 UTC 1998

Some here already know that the Prototype is one of the GOF's Creational
patterns. It's potentcy goes far beyond GUI development. As the object
paradigm becomes more and more pervasive, object-oriented software systems
have become more dependent upon object compostition than class inheritance.
The impulse for this shift stems from important knowledge representation and
cognitive issues regarding how we categorize information about the world
around us. The Prototype pattern provides flexibility in the creation of
objects. Java and C++ use another Creational pattern - the Factory to provide
flexiblity, but nothing beats a Prototype for flexiblity.

-Laurence