Sun's HotSpot

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Oct 16 12:40:21 UTC 1998

Tim,

> > Can you explain what you understand by 'dereferencing'?
[...]
> In just about any primitive or internal VM routine where you 'knew' what the
> object is and have a need to rummage in its giblets, you would have to check
> for indirection.

Oh, you mean cases like doing a #perform:withArguments: where the VM
relies on certain object representations (e.g., the first argument must
be a Symbol and the second one an Array)?! Interesting point. But somehow
I doubt that there are so many cases in which you'd have to get around the
indirection. Is there any way to check this?!

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+