Sun's HotSpot

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Fri Oct 9 21:25:51 UTC 1998

----snip----

> > The class system of Squeak can hardly be called a miserable hack ...
>
> I agree. I only said writing a visual programming environment on top of
> it would be. Just as Java is not a miserable hack, but trying to do DO in
> it would result in one. Both are examples of where the developer runs into
> the walls of the langauge. Of course you have to run much father to find
> the walls in Squeak/Smalltalk than in Java.

Obviously, you _were_ refering to Squeak/Smalltalk classes.

Could you define a bit more precisely what you have in mind when you
refer to a "visual programming environment" and what problems you see
when building one on top of a class structure (and why "on top of"
rather than "within" a class system)?

-- Dwight