Controller loops

Tim Olson tim at jumpnet.com
Mon Sep 7 13:57:22 UTC 1998

>>Personally, I think the best solution would be to go to an event
>>driven model.  The basic problem is polling, events would take
>>care of it.
>
>Interesting idea. How could this be done?
>
>Let's assume an architecture, that uses "widget" objects and "model"
>objects. A widget is the combination of view and controller. As the view,
>it's a dependent of the model. Widgets will react to events, implementing
>the GUI.

An event-driven architecture already exists; namely Morphic.  It
currently interfaces with the polled Squeak interface through
HandMorph>>processEvents, which continuously generates Morphic events,
but it should be relatively easy to push the Morphic event interface down
through to the VM, generating these only when the actual action occurs.

     -- tim