Smalltalk is a tidier functional language than Scheme

Ken Dickey kend at apple.com
Wed Sep 2 18:43:13 UTC 1998

>I'll tell you why. The "better" or more definitive solutions just aren't
>profitable. If anybody could get their work done easily and cheaply, who
>could sell a working force for the kind of money this industry is
>manipulating?

There is another reason.  If you are building applications in a dynamic
language, you have a competative advantage in that you can feature evolve
faster than your competition which uses C/C++/<whatever>.  On the other
hand, if you tell people that "this app was written in
Scheme/Lisp/Smalltalk/<dynamic>", people question the choice of language
rather than really looking at the application.  So most of the real
success stories never get told.

A basic problem I find is that many people assume a sw technology
solution as opposed to understanding the design space and doing the
cost/benefit for particular projects which shows which development
technology to use.  Having the marketing VP dictate choice of
implementation technology  is kind of like being an engineer designing a
bridge and being questioned on why you are choosing a particular kind of
steel and concrete.  The thing to do is be an engineer and talk about
functional requirements like carrying capacity and geology of support
structures, etc.  For some projects C/C++/machine-language is the best
solution.  But trying to scale up device-driver technology to use in
major projects is like trying to scall up wood from building small dams
to build Hoover scale dams--the implementation technology works well in
the small but does not always scale.  Sense of scale, knowing technology
match to design and business requirements, and cost/benefit are the ways
to convince upper management that particular technology choices make
sense.

[Aside: I find it interesting that the trend to open source software
(GNU, Linux, Squeak, &c) are catching on in the business world].

Cheers,
-KenD