Crashing Squeak

William O. Dargel wDargel at shoshana.com
Mon Sep 21 23:29:10 UTC 1998

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> The allusion to PseudoContext makes me immediately wonder if you have been
> using a Jitter interpreter.  We have had a couple of problems with become:
> in Jitter, and we have probably not nailed them all because we have not
> been using Jitter a lot recently.  The reason for this is that Ian has a
> new and diffeerent design for Jitter II, and we are awaiting that before
> resuming serious focus on the Jitter VM.

One of the historical occasions might have been on Jitter, but in general
no. Today it has all been with the standard Windows VM. Actually, I just
tried it using the Jitter and it didn't crash. But I'm not sure that says
too much, since practically any deviation from the sequence and it won't
crash (at least not immediately).

> If this happens in a non-Jitter VM, and if you can put the image and
> changes where I can get at them, I will see what I can discover about your
> problem.  You can save me one step if you have access to a Mac by seeing
> if you get the same result on a Mac.

Sorry, but I don't have access to a Mac. I also don't have anyplace that I
could put the image and changes for retrieval. (Note to self: I really
ought to rectify that). I could email them to you, if a 2.5MB zip file as
an attachment would be OK.

> Absolutely.  We have observed no such flakiness with non-Jitter Mac VMs.
> I won't say you can't crash Squeak, but five people in our group pound on
> Squeak, day in and day out, in images that have run rock solid for weeks
> and months on end.

That's good to hear. One of the things about Squeak that really attracts
me (having worked too long with the unsupported V/286) is the support that
Squeak has. Both from the community and from having all of the source
available. We've lived with periodic General Protection Faults from V/286
because there didn't seem to be anything that we could do about it. But
here, I can do something about a similar problem. And I will (right after
I get a C development environment from this decade :-) But I'm also glad
that there are experts out there that are willing to take a crack at the
problem.

-Bill.

Bill Dargel            wdargel at shoshana.com
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA