Getting Started with Squeak

Ken G. Brown kbrown at tnc.com
Mon Sep 28 21:15:08 UTC 1998

I have only recently started becoming familiar with Squeak and I am excited
by what I understand is happening in the Squeak community. My knowledge of
Smalltalk is quite limited at the moment and I want to learn more. I have
often wondered why Smalltalk hasn't become more popular than it is while
Java and C++ seem to be taking the world by storm.

Could some other kind soul(s) guide me as to the most efficient route to
getting up to speed with both Squeak and Smalltalk? I have found the Squeak
home page, www resources, ftp resources etc. and have downloaded and run
Squeak 2.2 on my Mac, however there is a lot to digest all at once. Some
direction as to priority might be helpful.

Also, is there an easy way to post an indented listing of the complete
Squeak class structure to a file for printing? I feel it would be helpful
to see a short form of all that is available in the environment and how it
is organized.

Would anyone care to comment on a comparison between Perl and Squeak? For
what purposes  would the use of each be most suitable?

Thanks for any help.
Ken

Ken G. Brown, BscEE, PEng.        email <kbrown at tnc.com>
Box 3973                             Phone: 403.986.9097
Leduc, Alberta, Canada T9E 6M8         Fax: 403.986.5299