Getting Started with Squeak

David Stes stes at mundivia.es
Wed Sep 30 14:18:15 UTC 1998

Jim Menard wrote:

> That makes sense. In fact, I suspected the answer had to do with late
> binding. That's why Nextstep and Objective-C was IMHO the best development
> environment. (Smalltalk, at least Squeak, UI development is still a bit
> rough but I can see the potential for the same ease-of-development).

Late binding benefits probably aren't just limited to GUI development
(although it's an obvious win there).  I suppose it's an advantage
whenever you have to work with larger software tool-kits.

With Objective-C (see http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/lang/objc/),
which is ST-derived, you have a little bit better integration with the
operating system, at least in my experience, but at some expense of
malleability (something like Squeak is 100% smalltalk so it's very
flexible!).