Squeak Version 2.2 released

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 24 22:38:06 UTC 1998

I believe this is dependent on the application, but usually it uses the OS conventions.  URLs are a notable exception: a file: URL currently forces the character to be $/ (though it just might possibly work if you used the local convention...).

By the way, Squeak on UNIX doesn't do any auto-correction if you use \ or : in filenames, because those are valid characters for a file to have.  The fact that most Windows systems auto-correct when you use a /, even outside of Squeak, is because:

	1) Most Windows things are written in C or C++, and C originated on Unix, and so people would like to compile the examples out of their C books.

	2) You have to escape \'s in C strings, which makes the paths harder to read.  "/dos/system.ini" versus "\\dos\\system.ini".

	3) It's really easy to implement.

Similarly, files in Windows tend to convert from CRLF to LF line endings in their default mode; this lets Unix programs be recompiled without much effort, and it's nicer anyways just having a single newline character to deal with instead of a pair of characters.  For instance, what do you do if you see just a LF or CR by itself?

Lex