Anybody running a Swiki on a Win95 box?

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Wed Sep 23 12:06:22 UTC 1998

Andreas,

> I have a Mac and a Win95 box on my office desk and I'd like to set up a
> Swiki on the Windoze machine because I use the Mac too much for normal
> development work. Now I played around with it for a while today and somehow
> I just didn't get the SWIKI to do anything. Is there anything that I have
> to do differently than on the Mac side?

Actually not. I've been running Swiki on Win95 and done exactly as written
in PWS>>howToStart, e.g.,
* changing the serverDirectory to something like 'C:\PWS\'
* extracting the files from Mark's site into the appropriate
  sub-directories of 'C:\PWS\'
* Initializing PWS (e.g., PWS initializeAll)

And after starting PWS (PWS serverOnPort:80 loggingTo:'C:\PWS\Server.log)
I was able to access it. Does this work on your machine?!
[Note: You should be able to use port 80 on Win95 unless you've got some
other HTTP-Demon running]

> As I didn't have a server folder on the Win side, I just copied the server
> folder from my Mac swiki over to the Win box. Is that something I shouldn't
> do maybe?

I don't think so. But just to be sure I'd recommend to download and
extract the files again.

> I'd appreciate any hints.

One more thing: I just noticed that in the PWS>>howToStart there is a
comment stating:

<<<<There has been a major change between Squeak 2.1 and 2.2.  If you are
reloading an existing Swiki for the first time in Squeak 2.2,
Do this instead of the normal reload.
	SwikiAction new restore: 'myswiki'.		'<- New line for each additional Swiki area'.
	SwikiAction new restore: 'myswiki'.		'Case DOES matter in the name of Swiki here.'.
	(PWS actions select: [ :action | action isKindOf: SwikiAction ])
		do: [ :action | action fixAllLineEndings ].
	PWS serveOnPort: 80 loggingTo: 'log.txt'.
(This to converts LineFeeds to CarriageReturns in all of your swiki data
files.  Only do this the first time!)

Hope this helps,
  Andreas

--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+