Moprhic Questions (was Re: Strangeness with AcceptableCleanTextMorph?)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 28 20:18:15 UTC 1998

>...so far I've
>created a simple text editor using the Pluggable-brand Morphs and it's worked
>out pretty well (much simpler than say, Xt and Motif!).
>
>I haven't tried it yet, but am I right in assuming that I can create a Model
>in a 'visual' manner by plunkinkg Morphs down on a playfield, as opposed to
>hand-coding them?

I've been trying my hand with Morphic recently, too.  I built a CRC card
using the pluggable components (at
http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/st/CRCWindow.st if anyone's interested), and
it did work great.  But I did spend a lot of time trying to plunk down
Morphs on a playfield as a way of creating the card.

I ended up with a lot of questions.  If anyone here can lend a hand, I'd
appreciate it!

- Is there a way to stick a StringMorph-like object (i.e., a non-editable
text) into a SystemWindow?
- Is there a way to get text with a scroll bar inside a RectangleMorph or
a PlayField?
- Is there a way to get TextMorphs to resize with a RectangleMorph or
PlayField?  I did get a TextMorph to fit the "owning" RectangleMorph, but I
couldn't get the RectangleMorph to resize when I put it into another
RectangleMorph or PlayField.
- What's the advantage of making a morph into its own subclass?  It just
creates a class definition, right?  Is there anyway to assemble a morph
then somehow turn it into an openAsMorph method so that I can make many of
them?
- What's the advantage of naming the components?  Does it interact somehow
with making its own subclass?
- What does it mean for something to be "sticky"?

Thank you!
 Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu