dazed by SortedCollection

Jon M. DeLaurier jdelaurier at vanisle.net
Tue Sep 1 17:33:21 UTC 1998

Subject:     Re:  dazed by SortedCollection
Sent:        1/09/1998 9:28
To:          squeak at cs.uiuc.edu

Thanks for these responses. I  did not clue to the performance
requirements of real-life applications. All of mine are artificial
and academic. The only performance enhancement that I am concerned
about is to obtained more cycle speed.

Jon

<snip>
>For example, the #copyFrom:to: method makes an exact copy of the
>elements between some start and end index. The same sortBlock is used,
>so the ordering is guaranteed to be identical. The greater the number
>of elements in the copy, the more significant is the penalty to
>re-sort the elements that are known already to be sorted.
>
>Better to be able to copy the collection asserting that the order will
>be correct, without the performance penalty.
>
>--
>Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl at gemstone.com
>Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
>Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com

>[snip]
>
>> I am dazed and confused! Why would you want to add to a sorted collection
>> without sorting? It seems to me to be a canidate for the more general
>> collection class. So again why have an addLast: method in the
>> SortCollection
>> class??
>
>How about as a performace optimization when you know the item your adding
>*should* come last? (a logging function for example) Or maybe if you
>wanted to delay sorting until a specific time, but wanted to stick the
>elements in anyway. As long as when you *get* the items, or otherwise
>manipulate the collection, do you need it to be *actually* sorted. "Lazy
>sorting", if you will.
>
>Cheers,
>Bijan Parsia

| Jon M. DeLaurier       |  vox :  250.656.6176                         |
| 2209 Bradford Av       |                                              |
| Sidney, B.C. V8L2C8    |                                              |
| Canada                 | email:  jdelaurier at vanisle.net               |