nil or #nil?

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Fri Sep 25 14:35:59 UTC 1998

At 07:11 PM 9/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
>"R. A. Harmon" <harmonra at webname.com> wrote:
>
>> I feel like I'm chasing a mirage that keeps disappearing just as I'm about
>> to grasp it.
[snip]
>> Is there any way to build the future on top of a compatible Squeak
>> Smalltalk?  If the future vision fulfills its promise, I think (naive hope?)
>> other Smalltalk dialects will adopt it.
[snip]
>Who says there has to be just one Squeak-based Smalltalk?  Even if the
Disney team
>goes way too far into the blue with future versions of Squeak, there are
plenty of >smart enough people in the world who could modify Squeak 2.2 to
be ANSI compliant.

Ah, it's in "Smalltalk - The Language and its Implementation", page 42 (just
joking -- and an old one at that).

You're right.  And I do greatly appreciate the considerable body of talent
and expertise outside of Disney.

Maybe I'm just getting old, pessimistic, and really grumpy.  Why when I was
a kid, we didn't even have gravity yet.  I had to walk 42 miles each way to
school.  With a cow under each arm so they wouldn't float away.  And I
walked home for lunch.  Which was dirt, but only when we got rich enough to
afford dirt!  Which was invented when I was in the third grade.  And third
grade was the best 6 years of my life . . . .

Thanks for reminding me of all the talent.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy