Controller loops

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at kiel.netsurf.de
Mon Sep 7 17:53:42 UTC 1998

>An event-driven architecture already exists; namely Morphic.  It
>currently interfaces with the polled Squeak interface through
>HandMorph>>processEvents, which continuously generates Morphic events,
>but it should be relatively easy to push the Morphic event interface down
>through to the VM, generating these only when the actual action occurs.

Well, I probably tend to ignore Morphic, mainly for personal taste :-)
You're right, Morphic is basically event driven already. It uses the same
four basic event types I mentioned in my last email (see
HandMorph>>handleEvent:). However, the stepping is still done with polling
(see WorldMorph>>doOneCycle). For a true event driven system, this should
be based on some kind of timer events. I don't know how difficult it would
be to change this.

Morphic has however a number of disadvantages: it's lacking documentation,
it isn't refactored yet and its architecture just wants to be different.

To anti-quote some perfume advertizing: Immitate, don't innovate. I'd
prefer something that resembles more the current state of the art of GUI.
Morphic must continue to evolve, but there should be an easy to use
alternative for today.

Furthermore, just using a GUI is boring, (re)inventing one is much more fun
:-)

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Are you ready to discover the twilight zone?