ANSI compatibility

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Mon Sep 28 23:09:06 UTC 1998

You asked about features for Squeak.
I would love to see a simple and robust event model.
Something along the line of Dolphin, with a
trigger: #this method that gets sent to dependents.
The GC should be smart enough to clean up
objects only referenced as dependents, so that
the programmer is never forced to type
'remove dependents'. Something along the line:
when: x send: y to: z with: zz
Moreover, it would be great to see this as dynamic.
By dynamic I mean that the message (y) and the
receiver (z) and parameter (zz) are all evaluated
AT the time the trigger event occurs. As far as I
know, the other Smalltalks do not do this dynamically.

I suspect such a framework will be more flexible than
the changed / update approach

Peter