Some methods not sorted

Michael S. Klein mklein at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 21 00:58:38 UTC 1998

I was thinking about this, and, using the Smalltalk convention of
capitalizing the first letter of subwords in compound words
(i.e. compundWords), a strict ASCII sort makes more sense.

Check Out:

case-insensitive:
	askEarlier
	asKing
	askingSomeQuestion
	askLater
	askNow
	asLower
	asQueen
	assumeNothing
	asUpper

Case-Sensitive:
	asKing
	asLower
	asQueen
	asUpper
	askEarlier
	askLater
	askNow
	askingSomeQuestion
	assumeNothing

As a completely off-topic gripe... case-insensitivity of symbols is
my least favorite part of Scheme... I mention only because of
Smalltalk's Lisp heritage.

Also, I wonder how people capitalize compundWords with one letter.
It works okay if the one word letter is at the beginning, i.e.

	aHorse

but if not, then what?

	findAhorse
or
	findAHorse

Usually I cheat and say

	findSomeHorse

Also, although abreviations are discouraged in Smalltalk
(with the notable exception of ST-80...
no wonder newbies spell it SmallTalk  ;-)
they are rampant elsewhere, and I really dont want to have to write:

	asHyperTextMarkupLanguage

(especially since 'hypertext' is one word)
so do I write

(A)	getHTMLDocument

(B)	getHtmlDocument

(C)	getHTMLdocument

I prefer (B), thinking of it as raising the abreviation to word status.
Of course, this decision will interact with the one-letter-words, as well.

If I haven't lost everybody on completely trivial matters, ever
notice that the implementation of Object >># printOn: doesn't work
for classes like HTMLDocument and UnixProcess :-?

Enough for now... back to counting those angels...

-- MIke