Crashing Squeak

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Sep 22 22:47:38 UTC 1998

Hi Bill and others,

I'm looking into the problem at the moment and so far I've been
identifying a few interesting things:

> I agree: It does seem though that the image is already damaged in some
> way.

The image you've provided looks as if it's pretty okay. All accessible
objects are okay in the initial environment. However, after jumping back
to the MVC parent project there is some MethodContext broken. FWIW, the
context that is then broken identifies itself as "SystemDictionary>>snapshot:andQuit:"
but that does not immediately break the image. My current guess is that
for whatsoever reason this context might be recycled by the DoIt and thus
cause the crash. But I still have to look at it. One thing that is
*extremely* interesting (and also might point to the recycling problem) is
that if you're jumping back to the MVC project and then execute "Smalltalk
garbageCollect" the image won't crash. At least it didn't the twenty or so
times I tried it.

> Speaking of Andreas and Dan, I really appreciate their willingness to take
> a look at my problem. Thanks. Even though it is starting to sound more
> like *my* problem, given no one else is getting crashes like this.

It actually isn't. I could reproduce the problem from your image on Linux,
Win95, NT3.51, NT4, SGI and Mac and so it doesn't like it's entirely your
problem. I'm somewhat guessing that it *might* be due to saving the image
from a Morphic project (I've never done this ;-) but I think that a little
more than this is involved. In any case, the image provided is the right
thing to look at.

More to come,
  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+