Thinking about a better UI (managing screen real estate)

Stephen Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 15 12:03:40 UTC 1999

There are two simple GUI ideas that would be easy to implement in Squeak and
would make it easier to manage screen real estate.

(1) Make every project directly and quickly accessible from every other one,
possibly via (1a) a "projects flap" (like the X Windows CDE desktop panel) or
(1b) a pull-right menu off of the desktop menu or (1c) a special key combination
to "move right/left" as in some X virtual desktop managers. This would make it
easier to move between projects, so we'd use them more effectively.

(2) Add (2a) a (possibly) stay-put "open windows flap" (somewhat like the task
bar in M$Windows or icon box on some X window managers), or (2b) add all open
and collapsed windows in the current project (and possibly all other projects)
to the desktop menu. (I'm not a great fan of ALT-TAB for switching between
windows.) This would make it easier to have loads of windows open and jump
between them.

--
stp

  Stephen Travis Pope