2.4b FileDirectory>>fileExists:

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Apr 30 06:00:55 UTC 1999

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Bob Arning wrote:

> A recent change to FileDirectory>>fileExists: makes the test for a given
> file case-sensitive.

Could this be the reason for "missing" changes as some Windows users
reported?

> Since most (all for Squeak?) operating systems are not case-sensitive,
> it might be nice to retain the old behavior.

Only nice for case-insensitive file systems. And no, not all Squeak
plattforms ignore case. On such a system, a file reported to exist could
not be accessed if the case does not match. If we account for ftp/http
file systems, the majority of files accessible from even Win or Mac should
be handled with respect to case.

I would treat case-sensitivity as an attribute specific to a file system.
That means the descendants of FileDirectory should implement something
alike #isCaseSensitive, so that #fileExists: can deal with it properly.

/bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                       Department of
                                                        Simulation and