Thinking about a better UI

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Apr 16 06:49:40 UTC 1999

"Norton, Chris" wrote:

> Hear hear!  I constantly have multiple windows open (Squeak and other apps
> too).

Way back in Magdeburg (before Squeak was ported ;-) ) we worked with
fish eye techniques, applying them to window managers and sub panes as
well.
The original work was done in VW, but I know Andreas has implemented
part of it in Squeak too.

One of the basic ideas was to allow for resizing of one or a set of
several windows while auto magically shrinking the others.
The same technique would apply for the sub panes, e.g. enlarging the
code view, while shrinking the class list.

> In fact, when I program my Smalltalk in VSE I often have 12 or more windows
> open, including several browsers, my sample application(s), inspector(s),
The set of windows mentioned above e.g. supported window stacks, that is
a set of similar windows (like browsers) are stacked on top of each
other with a slight offset, so each one was reachable at any given time.
In terms of the zoom window manager, however, this stack was treated as
one unit, that is resized (not moved, but that would come as a
straightforward extension I believe).

Michael