Thinking about a better UI

John-Reed Maffeo rlpa80 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 15 21:05:15 UTC 1999

Michael S. Klein wrote:

> Peter W. Lount wrote:
> > http://www.smalltalk.org
>
> > p.s. check out the Version of Smalltalk from the 24th century on the web
> > site. I think you'll like it. ;--)
>
> [site contains an audio file of Star Trek's Picard & Data]
>
>         Picard: Smalltalk?
>         Data:   Yes, sir.... I've found that humans often use smalltalk

Can't someone edit the sound bite to end here? I think that it sounds
better.

>                 during awkward moments, therefore I've written
>                 a new subroutine for that purpose.
>
> So, I guess that they are *still* using subroutines in the 24th century.
> I guess we shouldn't be looking to hard at their UI's either.
>
> At least Data didn't have to reboot himself.

Not true! Data has had to be rebooted several times. Once at least, he
did have
to reboot himself in some story about time-travel, San Francisco, and
Mark Twain.

> mklein at alumni.caltech.edu

John-Reed Maffeo

- Now that I found Squeak, I don't need Startrek anymore;)