UDP not yet supported?

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Mon Apr 12 10:39:20 UTC 1999

> How come you only have networking code for
> windoze boxes?

	Both the current official Squeak network support and mine are implemented with platform-independent Smalltalk classes which use platform-dependent primitives (in C). The Squeak team wrote their primitives for the Mac, then others in the community wrote corresponding primitives for other platforms. I'm hoping the same thing will happen with my networking primitives. I happened to write them first for Windoze because that's where I do most of my work (not by choice).

> I don't use windows so I won't be able to use your UDP
> classes in Squeak.

	Ah, you didn't mention that in your original message. At any rate, you *can* use the classes. The *classes* are completely platform-independent. What you're missing is an equivalent to sqWin32Net2.c for your platform. Given that, you can build a new virtual machine on which you can run those classes, unchanged. Perhaps the point is moot if you're not interested in building a new virtual machine, but it's an important one.

> Isn't Squeak supposed to be cross-platform?

	It is, but the primitives currently make use of several platform-provided libraries (e.g., networking, MIDI, and filesystem support). Please take a look around the official sources to see what I mean.

> How can this go into future release of Squeak if it doesn't
> support Linux?

	The platform-dependent primitives in the official releases from the Squeak team only support the Mac; it's up to the community to port the primitives to the other platforms. I don't think this case is unusual.

	FYI, most Squeak virtual machine work on Linux is done by Ian Piumarta <Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr>. I would port these primitives if I had the time, but I don't. If you're willing to do it, that'd be way cool.

-C

--
Craig Latta
composer and computer scientist