Squeak 2.4 for Windows

Pierce, Jeff S. Jeff.S.Pierce at disney.com
Wed Apr 21 23:06:59 UTC 1999

[ ... ]

> one question though; why does Alice want all of my processor?
> all i have to
> do is enter the Play With Me 7 project and the processor gets
> pegged and
> stays pegged. i noticed this in the Alice Netscape plugin
> too. this is on an
> 200MHz NT sp4 machine.

The reason is that both Alice and Squeak-Alice are trying to get the frame
rate as high as possible, because the higher the frame rate the better and
smoother the interpolated time-based animations look and the more responsive
the world is.  As a result, Squeak-Alice never really has any idle time; at
any given point it's either rendering or simulating.  It'll take every cycle
your processor has and ask for more.  =)

Andreas and I briefly discussed a mechanism to only re-render if something
changes in the scene, but right now other things have higher priority on my
TODO list.

Jeff