UDP not yet supported?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 12 16:40:53 UTC 1999

Dino <gte949e at prism.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Hi, I was playing around with the socket stuff and I found that the
datagram
> protocol is not yet supported?  Will this be supported anytime soon?
I guess
> I'll have to use old-school tcp instead...  :(
>
> -- Dino

Ian Piumarta's Unix VM actually has support for UDP sockets.  It's
"just" missing support from the Squeak level--presumably because, until
now, no one has had a compelling enough UDP application to work on it.

I wonder how hard it would be to add the needed image-level support for
UDP to work?  Would it just work to change Socket>>initialize to use 1
as the "socket type" instead of 0?

(BTW, Socket's comment seems to be backwards when it says 0 is UDP and 1
is TCP)

Lex