Thinking about a better UI

shaping at bigfoot.com shaping at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 14 17:57:57 UTC 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Dwight Hughes <dwighth at ipa.net>
To: Squeak List <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
Cc: <shaping at bigfoot.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: Thinking about a better UI

> shaping at bigfoot.com wrote:
> >

> [...interesting commentary snipped...]
>
> Have you taken a look at the Oberon System 3 UI?
I think I looked at Oberon 2 a couple of years ago, but I did not stick with
it long enough to become fluent, although I could see much attention had
been given to minimize movement.

Is the Oberon 3 UI significantly different?

Its default mode uses
> tiled autoresized/autorepositioned usually-nonoverlapping windows.

Yeah, this is what I had in mind.  I'll go take a look.

 The
> "scrollbar" and mousing behavior are interestingly different also.
>
>     http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/oberon/

Thanks.