Alix.inria.fr down?

Ian Piumarta Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
Fri Apr 30 07:25:59 UTC 1999

> Is the UNIX Squeak distribution site (alix.inria.fr) down?  I've been
> trying to get on for several days without success.

I'm afraid so.  She (an SS1+) died of old age.  I've enabled global
FTP access to xombul.inria.fr (the machine that actually hosts the FTP
partition), so you could try there instead.  But this is going to be a
short-lived luxury since the "powers that be" are enabling a firewall
shortly (a matter of days).  Not that we've been attacked: they just
thought it would be good for INRIA's "image". :-(

I'm currently trying to set up an alternate server on the outside of
the firewall (and at the same time register a DNS alias for it called
"squeak.inria.fr" :^), but there may well be a period in the next few
weeks during which no FTP access whatsoever to Squeak stuff at INRIA
is possible.

Ian